If you love group fitness and want to take it to the next level you should get trained to become an Instructor! I was so nervous about being in the worst shape at the training and feeling "not good enough" to teach, but after the 1-day workshop I felt exactly the opposite! The Master Trainer helped me to learn every move and gave me ideas on how to cue so that participants felt empowered and could have fun while working out. The energy in the room is always amazing and YOU get to create a positive, healthy environment. Here are some upcoming events I am hosting in the Morgantown, WV area:
My kids and I did this 3 years ago which I can't believe it's been that long! You can read about our experience here, or continue reading and learn the basics. If you aren't in the Lebanon area, feel free to create your own playground challenge using a simple Google search. We would love to hear about your experience in the comments!
The Challenge is to go to 5 local playgrounds in 3 hours. Take one lap around first and then play for 10-15 minutes.
Here is the line-up: 1. Cleona Playground on Garfield Street in Cleona, PA and bring some apples and oranges. Also take your putter and a ball to use on the the free 18 hole mini-golf course. This is the biggest playground on the list so don’t worry if your legs are tired on that lap around the park!
2. Coleman's Park on 1400 West Maple Street in Lebanon. The highlight of this playground is the "fast slide". The park is also very shaded so it won’t get too hot, but be sure to pack some bottled water just in case. Make sure you leave at about 1 hour into the Challenge so you can fit the next 3 playgrounds in.
3. Beautex Playground at 129 Van Buren Street in Lebanon. Park at the top and be careful as you run down a big hill to the playground equipment.
4. Progressive Playground at 351 N 1st Street is small, but a great place to visit. Take a lap and get ready to complete the challenge.
5. The last playground is across from one of Lebanon’s best restaurants, Trattoria Fratelli. Finish off the Challenge with a few bottles of water and high-fives all around. You can do it! 5 Playgrounds in 3-hours!
Summit 2017 in New Orleans, LA was amazing and here is the video to prove it! In 5 days I went to a Master Trainer Retreat, worked at the Core De Force Live Instructor Training, went up on stage at the Opening Ceremonies in the Super Dome, worked out with Tony Horton, learned from top coaches, did a Super Workout in the street with 20,000 other coaches and my favorite Super Trainers!! Wow that's a lot! You can do it all too by becoming a coach and joining the #hometeam. We would love to travel to Indianapolis with you in 2018.
One of the things I do as a health and fitness coach is read a lot of personal development. I don't do it to get all "rah-rah" and fool myself into thinking that life is all rainbows and ice cream cones. I do it because it helps me to continually grow as a person. I've found that growth is happiness. Every time I achieve a goal or surpass a major milestone I feel elated for a few days, but then disappointed that the goal or event is over. That is why continually learning and growing is so important. It's unlimited and the benefits don't diminish after a few days.
I'm on my second "listen" of the audiobook "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck" and I have learned so much about myself! Much of the book is devoted to values and the metrics by which we measure our progress. In my 37-years of life, I have chosen some good values and some shitty ones and perhaps you have too. Some of the good values I've chosen I have destroyed by applying shitty metrics and therefore the value becomes unobtainable or devoid of meaning. I'm going to dissect a few of my good values for you and illustrate how I am planning to change the metric. You can do this too.
Hopefully you can see a difference in the metric or the "how to know if I am achieving my value". The shitty metrics aren't all bad, but many of them rely on outside sources to be accomplished and therefore there is no way that they are obtainable without other people take action. A better metric is one that we can control and take full responsibility for. Having an MBA isn't a bad thing (I have one), but after accomplishing it you still need to continue to learn or that MBA becomes an outdated, framed piece of paper hanging on your office wall just collecting dust. And being highly educated becomes a pretty poor value if you only want it to beat your friends in trivia. Being educated so that you can share your knowledge and help others to become better seems like a much better and more rewarding use of your time.
I could keep going, but I think you get it! WE get to choose our values, and WE get to determine the metric we use to define those values. Let's choose wisely and we can live happy, fulfilling lives.
If you read my blog you'll quickly discover that I love lists of 5! There's obviously a hundred things you will want to learn when you decide to become a Beachbody Coach, but I narrowed it down to the 5 most manageable and most important for you, so here goes...
1. You Don't Have to Sell ANYTHING In fact, even the coaches that are making money and are running this as a business never really SELL. Our team makes it a point to never persuade, push, or talk anyone into doing anything! We are here to connect people to a solution when it comes to health and fitness and we work with those who are ready to make some changes in their lives. Our main focus is helping people and that happens by leading Challenge Groups, hosting Fit Clubs, and sharing our stories. It's fun and rewarding and "sales" shouldn't even enter the picture.
From the Beachbody Corporate standpoint this is true as well. As a Coach there are no sales requirements and you can continue to be a coach without anyone ever making a single purchase through your website. You are free to be a "discount coach" and enjoy the 25% off all your personal purchases by signing up as a coach. That should take some pressure off you!! I know it made me feel better when I was new.
2. There are Weekly Training Sessions Beachbody does an amazing job with keeping you focused and on top of the latest health, fitness, and business information. One of the best places to access information and motivation is on the National Wake-Up Call each Monday at 11am EST. There are top coaches each week that tell you exactly how they grew their business. They provide simple steps and ideas that anyone can use to help people every day. If you can't catch the call live you can listen to the replay by calling 1-832-225-5065. Call in now and comment with something cool you learned or who you heard speak. I would love to know what you think!
Hometeam (which is our local team of coaches) does a weekly Thursday night Zoom call using a free video app. We talk a lot about upcoming events like Fit Club, Super Saturday, and Coach Hang-outs. We also keep each other accountable to our workouts and challenge each other with personal development ideas. Our calls are usually just 30 mins, interactive, and we can all connect weekly from the comfort of our own homes. Pretty cool!
3. You Get a Coach Online Office No matter how much you are planning to work your Beachbody biz, you should definitely get comfortable with the Coach Online Office. Just sign in at www.teambeachbody.com, hover over the "Coach" tab and select "Coach Online Office". From here you have everything you need to check customer orders, retrieve your coach id, check coach breaking news, and so much more! This is really the central hub of your business as a coach and a great place to monitor how many people you are helping on a daily basis.
4. You Can Earn a Free Summit Ticket If you haven't heard about Beachbody Coach Summit yet you will want to learn more pronto!! Each year Beachbody hosts a corporate meeting with Super Trainers, workouts in the streets, coach recognition, parties, and SO MUCH FUN. Like you can't even have this much fun if you try. You need to go and you get a free ticket worth over $125 if you achieve Success Club within the first 3 months of becoming a coach.
What is Success Club? Well I'm glad you asked!! You get 2 points for each person that you help by connecting them with a Challenge Pack. This is 30-Days of Shakeology and a workout program of their choice. Ask your customers questions about their goals and what they have tried in the past to help them find the perfect fit. There is something for everyone and as coaches it's our job to help find it!! Keep them motivated to finish by asking them to join a Challenge Group where they will get daily accountability and support when they might feel like quitting. If you have a customer that is just interested in drinking Shakeology you get 1 Success Club point for connecting them with ShakeO on monthly autoship. It's the best deal because they save $15 on shipping and it just shows up each month in alternating flavors if they choose.
By earning 5 points in one month, you reach Success Club 5 and you are well on your way to that free Summit ticket! Success Club is also crucial for growing your business and having a goal that helps people each month. Again, helping people comes first and then everything else follows.
5. You Have the Support of a Team! After you sign up as a coach it can be a little daunting. You might even think "what the hell did I just do?" No need to panic! Hometeam has got your back and we are here for you to answer questions, toss around ideas, and support you. The team aspect of Beachbody is my favorite part of being a coach. We truly lift each other up and our team is as thick and thieves. We will not let anyone feel alone or left behind and we celebrate each others successes. I'm so excited that you are deciding to sign up as a Beachbody coach and I can not wait to see all the good things you are going to do.
We have all done it before. We've lost a few pounds for a wedding, vacation, class reunion, or special occasion and felt really good only to gain it all back and then some just a few months later. It's the worst and can be psychologically defeating. Why do we have to work so hard to lose weight and then it returns so easily? There's a few reasons, but the biggest is because typically we lose weight through "dieting" instead of changing our lifestyle. It may sound like an overwhelming feat, but it can be done with small changes over time that really aren't that painful. I promise!! I've pared it down to 5 Tips for you to put some long-term changes in effect that will convert into long-term success when it comes to health and weight-loss.
Tip 1: Build Lean Muscle.
As a woman, I know what just popped into your head. A spray-tanned fitness model with bleached-blonde frizzy hair who is absolutely bulging with muscle from head to toe. So much that her veins are popping out and you are questioning what is going on under that skimpy string-bikini. Am I right? I have a TON of respect for women who body build, but please believe me when I tell you that unless you are putting 4-6 hours in a day at the gym and taking a ton of supplements that WILL NOT happen to you.
Muscle is crucial to slowing down the aging process, maintaining your composition, and keeping the weight off. As we age, muscles tend to break down which is a condition called sarcopenia. This happens due to inactivity and because of lower concentrations of certain hormones as we get older starting as early as age 30. Strength training can actually increase the production of hormones and help your body to convert protein into energy in as little as two weeks!! Give me some weights to lift right now please.
Muscle holds your skeletal system in place and when using proper form and technique you achieve proper alignment. You will stand up straighter, have better posture, and keep your body's composition with just 30-minutes of strength training each day.
Need one more reason to build lean muscle? Muscle burns calories more efficiently throughout the day. Pound for pound, a person with a higher percentage muscle-mass will burn more calories than a person with less muscle-mass. Build muscle and you will have better long-term success.
Tip 2: Track Your Food and Water Intake.
If you are like me you just read this, rolled your eyes, and said "Great. One more thing I have to do every day." Luckily, I have found an app for us that will make it EASY and it's not myfitnesspal where you have to enter every specific detail and it takes forever. The app I used is called 21-Day Fix Tracker and it's available in the App Store for $1.99.
Here's why it works, instead of focusing on calories you can focus on nutrition and the 6 color-coded food groups (Vegetable, Fruit, Protein, Carbohydrate, Healthy Fat, Dressing/Seed). Let's face it, you could eat 2000 calories in chips in a day and it would be completely unhealthy. Your body would not get the nutrition it needs to function properly. NOT ALL CALORIES ARE THE SAME. Stop counting them and focus on being well balanced with your food choices.
The FIX App also tracks your water intake and ensures the proper portions for health and weight loss in the long-term. It's easy and you just check off the color that corresponds with the foods you eat. When all the boxes are at "0" you are done eating for the day. Be consistent with this and you will achieve the long-term weight loss you want.
Tip 3: Give Your Body the Proper Nutrition
This can be a tough one. I could go on and on about how nutrient depleted the food is in the U.S. It's sad and frustrating, but that's another blog post. Even if you have differing opinions about factory farms, GMO's, and agricultural subsidies I think we can all agree that food today is not the same as the food our grandparents ate. It may feel like we are hungry all the time because many times our bodies are just not getting enough nutrients. Our brain sends the hunger signal and what do we do? Shove some junk food in our faces. It happens, I get it, and I do it too sometimes.
The big difference for me in the past 3 years has been Shakeology. Full disclosure, I am a Beachbody Coach and I stand to gain from this statement. But I have done the research, I have investigated the ingredients, I have been drinking it consistently, and Shakeology has changed my life. It's the real deal with 70-Superfoods including Acerola Cherry, Bilberry, Ashwaganda, Quinoa, Spinach, Moringa, and Gingko just to name a few. That means it's jam-packed with anti-oxidants, vitamin c (300% of your daily requirement), vitamins, and minerals. And it's REAL FOOD which is how your body is designed to absorb nutrients as opposed to a concentrated pill-type vitamin.
For me, the greatest benefit has been complete relief from seasonal allergies. I have suffered since I was 12 with an allergy to ragweed pollen. It always hit right before school started which was awesome because despite my new back-to-school clothes and perfectly quaffed hair, my eyes and nose were always bright red and swollen on the first day of school. This was the case even when I was completely doped-up on Claritin and could barely stay awake because it made me so drowsy. Right now I would be unable to even type because I would be sneezing and blowing my nose so much if it weren't for Shakeology. My symptoms didn't go away immediately, but waned each year and this allergy season I am proud to say that I feel like a normal person!!
The importance of consistent nutrition when it comes to long-term weight loss and health is obvious. Give your body the nutrients it requires and you will have much better long-term success.
Tip 4: Do A Program (Always)
I wish I could tell you that if you completed the full 90-Days of P90X that you would never have to lift another finger to maintain your health and weight loss. Unfortunately, that is not the case at all. It's fine to take breaks in between programs and a great idea to switch programs after completing one so that you don't die from boredom, but if you want to maintain long-term health and weight loss you need to be on a program. Always.
It's only 30 minutes of your day and you will feel better about yourself. So just do it. Beachbody has over 40 programs that are proven and can be done anywhere in any space. I don't feel like it either sometimes, but I know that is worth it. I want to enjoy life and I don't want to be in a nursing home! So I push play every day and do a program from start to finish. Then I rinse and repeat.
Tip 5: Let Yourself Indulge (in moderation)
This is actually really important and often understated. Shaun T said it best, "If you're going to the movies you can order a small popcorn. Share it. And yes you can get butter." Life if meant to be lived and you should not deprive yourself! That being said, there is a big difference between a "treat" and a bad habit. If you are eating buttered popcorn every evening when you watch tv, or going for ice cream each time you accomplish a task then you are missing the point. Indulgences should be planned, portioned, periodic and you should be in control NOT the food or the person tempting you to eat it. Did I just take all the fun out of it? My bad. This article is about long-term weight loss and health though so think about your goals and what you REALLY want. If the indulgence isn't in line with your goals than it's not worth it. That doesn't mean you can't EVER have popcorn, ice cream, or pie (did you know I love pie?). It just means that while you are working hard to get to your goals or if you are having trouble maintaining them, then it's time to put the pie down until a later date.
So that's it! Not too bad right? You can implement just five things as part of your daily routine to have a healthier, more fulfilling life. Build lean muscle, track your food and water intake, give your body the proper nutrition, do a program, and indulge with moderation. Take some time to tackle this list. Plan it out and contact me for help! I am on the journey to long-term health and weight loss too and I know we can do this together.
Breakfast is one of my favorite meals. It sets the tone for the day, and keeps me fueled for teaching P90X at the gym or doing my workouts at home. Most days I drink Shakeology in the morning because it contains so much nutrition and keeps me full. Plus it's quick and I can drink it on the go; either at the bus stop or while running errands. My family and I had a little extra time this morning, however, so we decided to try a new restaurant in Lebanon called Cafe Panache. It's located on Russell Drive right across from Enchanted Evening and the new Medical Complex. The breakfast was really tasty and I was impressed by how many healthy choices there were on the menu. It was one of those places where you could just "tell" the food was homemade and the ingredients were fresh. I spoke with the owner and all the food is made from scratch using local ingredients from Manheim Farmer's Market and Laudermilch meats. They also cook exclusively with Olive Oil which is a great healthy fat source. I was looking for a high-protein option to start the day so I ordered the egg and gruyere sandwich on a multi-grain croissant with sweet potatoes and onions cooked in olive oil on the side. If you're using the 21-Day Fix containers this would consist of 2 yellows, 1 blue, 1 red, and 2 tsp for the olive oil. The portion size was just right and the pumpkin spice coffee was a perfect compliment. I was also sure to drink the big glass of ice water they served before taking our order. Drinking water at least 15 minutes before a meal helps you to eat less, feel fuller, and doesn't dilute the digestive fluids in your stomach like it would by drinking during a meal. It's a great trick at home or when dining out.
"My husband ordered the Pumpkin-Cream Cheese French Toast which is a little more indulgent and would count as 4 yellow, 1 tsp, and 1 blue container. Better to split this dish with a friend to cut down on the carbohydrates, but I was so impressed that it was served with Pure Maple Syrup and not a typical "Log Cabin" type brand. Since Maple Syrup is a natural ingredient, your body is much better at processing it and a little bit goes a long way to sweeten up any dish. It is extremely rare to find pure maple syrup in restaurants because it is very expensive (this bottle would retail around $30) so most restaurants opt for syrups with cheaper ingredients like high-fructose corn syrup which spike your sugar-level and make you hungry all day. Remember, high-fructose corn syrup is the sugar from corn that is highly concentrated (usually in a lab) and your body is not well-equipped to break it down or store it which causes health problems in the long-run. It's so important to read labels and avoid high-fructose corn syrup at all costs. Think diabetes, obesity, metabolic syndrome. High-Fructose corn syrup undergoes a similar process as cocaine. Cocaine comes from the coca plant, which in it's natural form it isn't harmful, but when it is broken down and concentrated it's chemical composition changes and your body reacts to it very differently and even becomes addicted. Same story, different plant when it comes to high-fructose corn syrup. Pure maple syrup in small quantities is really the way to go. You can even use it in place of sugar in some recipes. I like to add a tsp to my Chocolate Shakeology with walnuts, ice, and water and put it in the blender. It feels like a cheat, but it's super healthy.
My 4-year-old opted for the egg and bacon breakfast pizza which is made in an open fire-oven that was visible from our table. After calling Laudermilch Meats, I can confirm that they sell nitrate-free bacon. Why does it matter if bacon is nitrate-free? During the process of cooking certain meats, sodium nitrites combine with naturally present amines in the meat to form carcinogenic N-nitroso compounds. When ingested, these compounds are associated with cancer, according to some studies. My kids love bacon so it's important to me that they are not consuming large amounts of carcinogen. The breakfast pizza got two thumbs up from my kiddo, and I would count it as 1 red, .5 blue, 1 yellow, and 1 tsp for 2 slices. Take the rest home or split it so that you don't overdo the portion.
After further conversation with the owner, I was pleased to find that Cafe Panache offers gluten-free breads (made with rice-flour), baked oats, and a large array of salads with homemade dressings for lunch. They are willing to accommodate food allergies and the best way to get what you want is to ask. I love supporting small businesses like this in my community and I'm thrilled to know that there are restaurants with healthy options that make food from real ingredients. Health is all about moderation, so use the 80/20 rule and cook from home for the most part, but allow yourself to enjoy food and experiences with family and friends 20% of the time. We vote with our wallets, and if we want to have restaurants with healthy whole-food options we need support them and pass up the fast-food alternatives. If you visit Panache please leave a comment and let us know what menu items you tried!
What if I told you that you can get all the benefits of Performance Enhancing Drugs naturally and without doing anything illegal? Think about this. You could be the highest performing athlete you are capable of without doping and by using a system that will actually improve your body without side effects. It's finally here and you are going to want to be among the first to try it. Unfortunately this wasn't available to Lance Armstrong, but it is available to you. This is cutting edge technology developed by Harvard PhD and Exercise Physiologist Dr. Nima Alamdari. I tried a sample pack of the full Performance Line and I will walk you through exactly what you can expect. There are 5 components, each with a unique mechanism that will help your body to hit peak performance.
The first supplement in the kit is a pre-workout drink called Energize that you mix with 8 oz of water and it tastes like lemonade. I didn't eat anything in the morning before I drank it and in about 10 minutes I felt my lips and ears tingling a bit. As soon as I began my workout I could immediately tell a difference. I was lifting my knees higher, taking less breaks, moving faster and I had so much focus. I have used Beachbody's E&E in the past and still like it, but the Energize seemed to last longer and gave me more stamina. It also reduces lactic acid build-up. After an intense 25 minutes of cardio, I stopped to take the next supplement called Hydrate.
To me, Hydrate tasted a lot like watered down orange juice and I enjoyed the flavor of this supplement the most. I felt very thirsty at this point in my workout and Hydrate was just what I needed to keep going. It's not a high-sugar sports drink and does not contain artificial colors or sweeteners. It maximizes fluid absorption and replenishes key electrolytes that are lost in sweat. I drank it pretty quickly so I could finish the last 20 minutes of my workout. I still felt like pushing hard and was ready to keep going. After my cool down and toweling off a bit, I was ready for the next supplement.
I drank Recover with Creatine which had a smooth chocolate flavor. I just mixed it with spoon, but would use a shaker-cup the next time to eliminate clumps. Recover combines the right amount of fast, medium, and slow-release proteins with key phytonutrients that have been shown to reduce muscle soreness. It really tastes like a kids chocolate drink box and was easy to drink. I felt pretty full at this point so I only made half a serving of Shakeology for breakfast. I went on with the rest of my day feeling energized and light on my feet. I even took my kids to the amusement park for the day and was able stay active without feeling fatigue from the sun, heavy walking and the wave pool. I was surprised that I was able to keep going!
Finally about an hour before bed time I drank the Recharge supplement. I used my shaker cup and the consistency was good, but it was my least favorite flavor of the Performance Line. It tasted like real vanilla and I loved the smell, but I am a chocolate girl so probably just personal preference. Muscle break-down can happen overnight and is when much of the muscle soreness occurs. Recharge promotes muscle protein synthesis and prevents break-down. I slept great and was ready to rock my workout again the next morning.
The Perfomance Line Energize and Recover supplements are available as a Challenge Pack with Beachbody On Demand where you can try tons of different workouts right from your ipad or laptop. It's the best price and you can check it out at If you are thinking about trying the Beachbody Performance Line go to https://www.teambeachbody.com/checkout/-/bbcheckout/challengepack?referringRepId=241115
I would love to add you to my 10-day Challenge August 10-20 to see how hard you can push yourself and the amazing results you can achieve in just this short period. Comment if you want to join and let's Perform together.
Mark your calendar for July 28-31, 2016 and get ready for your life to be changed! We are headed to Nashville, TN for Beachbody Summit and the experience will make you better. I was fortunate enough to attend Summit 2015 last week and here are the Top 5 reasons that I already bought my ticket to go back.
5. It will make you appreciate your family I didn't think I was going too far outside my comfort zone by attending Summit. I used to travel all the time for my pharmaceutical job and we were so busy that the time flew by and I was away and back home before I knew it. Summit was way different. We were still very busy, but traveling with different people and attending physically demanding events as well as mentally and emotionally challenging workshops really made me reflect on what is most important to me...my family.
On the third day of Summit Chalene Johnson spoke about relationships. She talked about how sometimes married couples grow apart because they don't support each other in their business ventures. I felt so lucky that my husband has been my biggest supporter since Day 1 with my Beachbody business and it just made me appreciate and love him so much. Chalene was right that sometimes we take for granted the people who are the closest to us and even put them last. This really put things into perspective for me and I realized how fortunate I am. The funny thing is, this speech was completely unrelated to exercise or building a business and it was one of the biggest takeaways for me. I appreciate my parents more as a result of Summit as well, and I am committed to improving my relationships with the people closest to me. I hope you can take a few minutes to watch Chalene's talk and reflect on your relationships as well.
4. You will learn much more about Beachbody Coaching Maybe you signed up as a coach to get the 25% discount on products, maybe you want to start selling a few things through your site but you're not sure how. Summit is the place for you. There are tons of coaches in your same position that you can talk to and exchange ideas. There are also several break-out sessions where top coaches offer their best practices to duplicate. I learned so much about Shakeology from Darin Olien who created this amazing nutrient-filled meal replacement and why it's so important to drink it every day. Did you know that you can feel full but still lack nutrients? We have a ton of food in our country, but we are lacking micronutrients in our soil. In the last 50 years the potato lost 100% of vitamin C and 50% of its vitamin A. Say what?! Shakeology contains the missing link in our nutrition. But it's not enough to hide behind the product, it's our job as coaches to share how Shakeology and other Beachbody products like T25, P90X, and the 21-Day FIX have improved our lives. Our story is our most powerful tool in helping others. Craving more information and tips like this? You will want to head to Beachbody Summit next year.
3. You will meet some REALLY COOL people This is a picture of a girl named Lara, myself in the middle and my friend Lisa on the right. Lisa and I were just checking things out at the Music Center the morning that Summit began and we randomly ran into Lara who we ended up seeing time and time again among the other 25,000 coaches in attendance. We met so many nice, fun people who were on a path to improve their lives just like we were. Every single person we ran into had a story and their own reasons for becoming a Beachbody Coach. Some of them had met their coach on Instagram and followed them for years before deciding that it was something they were ready to do. Others had coaches that were their good friends who had asked them 3-4 times to join them as a Beachbody Coach and it just took time for them to be ready. Hearing all these stories from all these cool people was inspiring and it really gave me hope that this business works and even if it takes time to build a team it DOES HAPPEN. Many of the coaches we met were Emerald Rank, some were Diamond Rank, and over 50 people in this company have made over $1,000,000 from being a Beachbody Coach. That's pretty amazing. What's more amazing? The number of people they have helped and believed in to get to that point.
My friend Jessica and I got to the Autumn Calabrese workout a few hours early to get in the front row. These guys had the same idea and it didn't take long to start exchanging stories and ideas about Challenge Groups, programs we've tried and why we wanted to be Beachbody Coaches. If you like meeting cool people you will want to attend Summit in 2016.
2. The LIVE Workouts are OUT OF THIS WORLD! On the final morning of Summit at 6am we worked out in the middle of the busiest street in Nashville to pumping loud music with 5 Celebrity Trainers including Sagi, Tony Horton, Chalene Johnson, Autumn Calabrese and Shaun T. It was one of the coolest things I have ever done. The people who reside on the street were a little unsure as they opened their windows and stuck their arms out with cell phone cameras, but we were on fire with so much energy that it's amazing the city is still standing. It was hot and intense, but it was absolutely amazing to work out with so many dedicated people. Fist bumps and high fives radiated through the crowd as though we were instructed on command. The energy was palpable. And this was just the LAST workout of Summit!! There were opportunities on each of the other days to get great workouts in as well. I chose to do Cardio Fix with Autumn Calabrese on the first day and P90X Yoga with Tony Horton on Day 2. It's one thing to work out with these guys every day at home on your TV screen, but live and in person is an out-of-body experience. They literally come around and correct your form and offer encouragement. It's like a Star-Trek fan getting "beamed up" or getting to hang out with the "real" Superman. These celebrity trainers are truly larger than life and their energy is contagious. If you want to work out harder than you've ever worked out before, better get to Summit next year.
Ready for the number 1 reason why I want to see you at Beachbody Summit next year? I've been talking about it the entire time and I don't like to be redundant, but here goes... 1. You will become a better person So often we go through life on a schedule and we are planning around school, holidays, vacations and whatever else life throws our way. Summit is an opportunity to live in the moment and grow as a person. Personal Development is one of the three vital behaviors that each Beachbody Coach must exhibit (along with Inviting and being Proof of the Product). All of the above reasons will make you better, but there is also an opportunity to listen to top leadership experts when you attend Summit. Simon Sinek was truly inspirational and taught us what it means to be a leader. We learned how through our own biological makeup the chemicals Endorphins, Dopamine, Seratonin and Oxytocin affect our decision making and motivation level as well as our interactions with others. He taught us that leadership is a choice and not a position. Dewitt Jones opened our minds with his photography and showed us how to find opportunity in any situation. Personal Development is key to being better and Summit offers a slew of it.
Are you ready to get your ticket now? Go to www.coachsummit.com and get on the waiting list right away! If you are looking to join a team that uplifts each other and works together to help people contact me or leave a comment! I would love for you to join me next year as we improve our lives at Beachbody Summit.
When Beachbody introduced the 3-Day Refresh last year I was skeptical. I like to make clean eating a lifestyle and was concerned with a product that claimed to be a 3-Day "quick fix" for weight loss. I put off trying it for months even though I saw great results from fellow coaches and friends. I thought the weight they lost on the plan would all be gained back and it would be a waste of money.
In April, my family took an 8-day vacation to a resort where it was difficult (or at least no fun!) to find healthy meal options. I had a few salads here and there, but hey -- it's vacation and I made a point to sample a few desserts, hit up the buffets, snack on french fries by the pool and drink some alcoholic beverages to capitalize on the relaxation the vacation provided. We had a great time, but when we returned I quickly realized that I let food and drink take control of me. Even with the best laid plan to regain my clean eating lifestyle I felt hungry and miserable in my attempts to "get back on the horse". So I bit the bullet, swallowed my pride, and ordered the 3-Day Refresh kit.
The plan was simple. Day 1 started with a big glass of water followed by Chocolate Shakeology mixed with ice, water and half a banana. This is my normal breakfast so I was used to the routine. I always know I'm getting 300% of my daily intake of Vitamin C with Shakeology as well as 100% B6, B12, A and Manganese as well as a multitude of other nutrients and minerals that come from REAL FOOD so I know most of the nutrition is being absorbed by my body (unlike a vitamin tablet in which nutrients may not be absorbed AT ALL). Plus it fills me up and I like the taste, so breakfast was easy. The next thing on the plan is morning tea with stevia. You have to use naturally decaffeinated tea, and after a lot of coffee drinking on vacation I surely missed the "boost", but it was an acceptable substitution. Around 10am the plan calls for water mixed with "fiber sweep". This has a bit of a gritty consistency, but it is sweet and tasted like lemonade. Doable. At lunch I had another shake called Vanilla Fresh, which again contained vitamins and nutrients to keep my body refreshed during the mid-day. I prepared it in the blender with ice, water and half a banana and it tasted really good and surprising refreshing. I was also able to choose one vegetable from the list provided and one healthy fat. I had 2 stalks of celery with 2 Tablespoons of Cedar brand hummus. I like that brand because it doesn't contain chemical preservatives. I ate around 12:30pm and stayed satiated until about 3:30. There was an option to have an afternoon tea, but it was 80 degrees that day so I skipped it. For afternoon snack I could again choose a healthy fat and vegetable. I had a cup of sliced cucumbers this time and 2 more Tablespoons of hummus. It's actually amazing how much hummus that is! Finally for dinner the plan called for another Vanilla Fresh Shake sans the fruit and a choice from the healthy dinner recipes provided. I chose the spinach salad. It was easy to make and yielded a large portion.
I had such a great experience the first day that I used the exact same menu for days 3 and 4! The plan was easy to follow and I knew that it was only 3 Days which really made it psychologically achievable. You can do anything for 3 days right? Whenever I felt hungry I reached for a big glass of water. At the end of the 3 days I was four pounds lighter (2 lbs that I gained on vacation and 2 stubborn lbs that I'm always at war with!) and I felt like I was back in control. Over the next few days I continued to lose 1-2 lbs and I was making healthier choices as I eased back into my clean eating routine.
There are lots of other options too if you are not keen on hummus or spinach. Some other vegetable options include asparagus, broccoli and carrots. Additional fruit options are apple, blueberries, grapes, peaches and watermelon and you don't have to put them in the Vanilla Fresh if you would rather eat them on the side. The dinner recipes include vegetable stir-fry, kale with pine nuts, cucumber-tomato salad, moroccan carrot salad and more.
Overall, the 3-Day Refresh really worked for me and helped me to push through a time where I felt like food was controlling me. It empowered me because I was able to get through the plan without cheating and I felt accomplished for completing this short-term goal. If you are interested in trying the 3-Day Refresh go to www.beachbodycoach.com/juliesmyth and click on "Shop" or leave a comment and I would be happy to help you learn if this is a good option for you.